Top 5 reasons to move abroad:
- You’re either ready to retire (or currently retired) and just scraping by – barely paying the bills to survive. Trapped in your house because you can’t afford to dine out and enjoy the simple pleasures of retirement! Moving abroad: A typical social security check and/or pension will provide you and your spouse a BOOST in overall lifestyle! You will have access to less expensive and better healthcare, inexpensive housing, and most of all…you will be able to afford going out to spoil yourself (dining out, movies, tours, activities, buy new clothes) because it’s just cheaper!
- You just got through a nasty divorce and you feel that everyone is against you. You feel alone and unmotivated…life sucks! You want to get the FU@K out of your current environment but you don’t know where to go? Making a transition for the newly single in countries like Costa Rica, Thailand, Philippines is not as intimidating as one might think. Trust me…in my experience, every newly divorced Man or Woman that moved overseas felt it was the best decision they’ve ever made!
- You’re kids are spoiled rotten and have no respect for you! Moving overseas will transform any rotten kid into a more “rounded person” with a bigger outlook in life. Living in a foreign country helps them appreciate life…not the materialistic things you’re buying them – or what they see on TV! Every child I’ve come across, that’s spent time overseas, are the most well-behaved and intelligent individuals I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. Accredited private schools in countries like Costa Rica start as low as $250-300 a month and, your children will be bilingual. The same equivalent in the US would be $1,500 – 2,000/mo.
- You work from home, and/or starting a new business – you’re frustrated! And you’re not making “jack-shit for money!” Well, you can move to countries like Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, live happily on $1,000 a month, while developing your home-based business. You need to think BROADER! You have the GUTS to start your own business…don’t let a little thing like moving to another country scare you!
- You’re BORED! Your job sucks. Your pay sucks. No one around you appreciates you. No one pays attention to you. You feel like a loser! You’re the perfect person that will thrive in a new country. Why? Because you’ve been living in the same “BUBBLE” all your life – it’s as if you’re living in a horrible movie! You need a new purpose in life with more adventure! So, climb out of your hole – start your research, move to a different country and start a new CHAPTER IN YOUR LIFE! Building a new life from scratch in another country is not scary…it’s rewarding and will forever change you for the best! I’ve seen textbook “losers” thrive in foreign countries because all the negative“LABELS” they grew up with no longer exists:)
Top 5 reasons you should NOT move to a foreign country:
- You’re a racist asshole!
- You hate change!
You’re impatient and you have a habit of “going off on people!”
- You’re super lonely and all you want to do is get married. These types of guys stick out like a “sore thumb” and get taken advantage of all the time. It’s cheaper for you to hire a hooker every once in awhile and stay where you are…sorry but that’s the honest truth! These men and women overseas will take you for all your worth – you will leave that country with nothing but the clothes on your back, or worst yet…in a coffin! They’re pro’s…a life overseas in a 3rd world country is not for you.
- You’re a drug addict or heavy user. FYI…drug arrests in most Asian countries means “life imprisonment” or “the death penalty!” People like you would be better off staying in your home country like North America or UK. Don’t think you can go to an Asian country to get sober because they have strict drug laws, and you may think drugs are hard to come by. Drugs are everywhere – in every country! You don’t want to be locked up in an Asian prison…it would be your worse nightmare come TRUE!
As a person that’s trained oneself to be extremely observant and in-tuned with human behavior, I find these trends in the United States shocking and troubling:
- Suicides are on the rise!
- The sheer amount of people (children & adults) that are extremely unhappy and depressed!
- There’s a large amount of individuals that are “medicated” for some sort of bullshit “made up” mental disorder!
- The rise in arrogance and self righteousness! And the lack of respect and empathy for one another!
- The lack of personal savings for future retirement! American’s today have the lowest amount of savings compared to 20-30 yrs ago! And, today’s families have accrued the most personal debit in American history!
- Laziness! No one wants to work hard, but they want the money, power, and the notability without putting in the hours!
There’s no question, “life is difficult!” But so many I’ve come across feel, “they can’t do anything about it.” “I can’t just pick up an move to another country!” My answer is, “yes you can – you’re just scared.” When I meet individuals that are walking through life “barely surviving” miserable..99% of the time they’re in this situation due to a lifetime of bad decisions. You have no one to blame but yourself for your shitty life…BUT! You can do something about it!
The unknown benefits of moving to a 3rd world country is, “you don’t have a past, no one knows who you are.” Most may feel, “this sucks!” Well, its just the opposite – that’s why moving to another country is awesome! You are no longer dragged and haunted by a lifetime of bad decisions – you get to start FRESH! With a clean SLATE!” Unhappy and angry people are made from decades of poor decision making…and a lifetime of hanging around a bad environment!
No to SUICIDE: As I mentioned above, there is a growing trend in suicides here in the United States. Most of these individuals are killing themselves because they’re depressed and unhappy. Anyone out there thinking about hurting yourself – here are a few suggestions before ending your life:
- Move to a 3rd or 2nd world country for 3-6 months. Nothing to be scared about – you’re planning on killing yourself anyway. Keep reading…
- During your time abroad – take a “digital break!” Keep all communication with family and friends via skype and emails, deactivate and stay off all social media platforms – don’t read any newspapers!
- Read and complete one book a month (fiction or nonfiction). I don’t give a shit if it’s a comic book or erotica – just read something you like!
- Keep a daily journal of your activities (traditionally) via pen and paper – no laptop or tablet. Buy a bunch of those composition books at Walmart of Office Depot.
- Use only a regular flip phone to make calls – ditch your smartphone.
- Take photos with a regular digital camera. Again – ditch your smart phone!
- Stop doing DRUGS! Getting high! And/or drinking yourself to a stupor!
- Research and pick an organization to volunteer in a poor community. Teaching, building…anything that appeals to you. Volunteering in a 3rd or 2nd world country will show you that your life does not SUCK, and there are millions of others that have it much worse than you. Volunteering will help you appreciate who you are, and how you can impact others worse off than you!
- Next, depending on your finances (spend all your money if you have to) travel and explore the country…and the neighboring countries. If you’re in Southeast Asia, most hostels are $10-$15 a night, food will run you $1 – 2! Public transportation is dirt cheap.
- Sit on a remote beach city and take in what’s all around you:) Take in the beauty of the scenery and the local culture!
- All the douchebags and shitty people that have been ruining your life is nowhere around! If’s just you and nature:)
- While traveling you’re still on digital break, reading, and keeping a daily journal.
- This adventure will, “once again” jump-start your enjoyment of life!
- If you love it there – don’t come back! You can easily find work in these countries. There are plenty of stories of expats online that skip from country to country, and have no plans on coming back to where they were running from. Did you know that Thailand has less than a 1% unemployment rate? Everyone can get a job if they want one.
- At the end of your 3-6 months you may reconsider hurting yourself or others:) You owe it to yourself to ,“find out and experience what’s it like to be happy!” You deserve this, even if it’s for a brief 3-6 months, before you decide to leave this life.
- A lifetime of bad decisions = A lifetime of sorrow! Everything just compounds from there…getting worse and worse each year! If you can’t change it – RUN from it! Run far…run now! Don’t let it catch up any further!
- A moment of non-materialistic happiness and helping others = “I’m not going to tell you what the answer is – this is something you’ll have to find out in your new adventure abroad.” I can tell you this much – its worth it! Everything I wrote is not bullshit! This can be your new reality! Pain…misery…and depression is not the norm! You can find happiness abroad:) I hope these words will impact you to make a change. I know people SUCK! But, there are so many that care. I hope you find happiness and wish you a long life. God speed my friend – I hope to see you in a small cafe some day:)
Supplemental Podcast related to this article: https://soundcloud.com/willroadhouse/sets/living-abroad
For more tips on living abroad, subscribe and follow our podcasts (Travel UnCUT, Living Abroad…) and videos on soundcloud, iTunes and YouTube:
If you’re looking to move abroad Compass Group International also offers “one-on-one” consultation. Please head to our facebook page or email me for more information.
Travel Far and Travel Often!
CEO | Compass Group International